SKILL LEVEL: All Levels
DRILL TYPE: Baserunning
PURPOSE: This drill is designed to teach the players the correct line to run the bases
PLAYERS: Any number of players
TIME: 10 minutes
- Set you players up behind a cone to the left of home plate.
- Set up cones along the base paths to represent the correct running line.
- Based on the age group you are coaching there could be the need to walk them around the bases first instead of having them immediately go to running.
- Once they are familiar with the path then have the line up at home and run the bases 1 person at a time.
- You can break this drill into a series of smaller drills and go base to base with the cones to show the correct path or you can just set it up and have them run home to home.
KEY COACHING POINTS:
- The theme with all our base running drills is to be aggressive.
- Younger players should be walked around the path and then let them do it on their own.
- Ensure they are making aggressive turns at 1st, 2nd and 3rd base with no hesitation.
- Make sure the players are running with their head up and not looking down at their feet, which is very common with young players.
- Ensure the players are hitting the inside portion of the base when they are making a turn around the base. You don’t want them stepping on the center of the base as that is costing them speed.
- If you have trouble with your players looking down when running have a coach hold up a few fingers and have the player yell out how many fingers are being held up when they touch the base.